Friday, March 12, 2010

Flavor w/o Calories & Fat

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but where I live Spring sure feels like it's right around the corner thanks to all the overcast skies and rain we've been having. This has made it so that I have been stuck inside trying to entertain myself which is when I will start playing around with foods in my kitchen. Have you ever gone into the kitchen and tried to figure out how to make something taste better without adding in a lot of calories and/or fat?? I know in order to maintain your health and weight goals you really do need to learn how to be an explorer in your own kitchen and try new things. This may seem like a scarey thing to do because it is change, and change is extremely hard at times; however, it can be fun to, a new way to express yourself or just make a mess like a kid does when playing in a sandbox.

Since we are talking about exploring and finding new ingredients to use when making a flavorful dish, I want to ask people, what they have found to add to their dishes that make them healthy but leaves the calories and fat out?? Here is a small list of my own suggestions to get you started:
Herbs/Spices
Salsa
Ketchup
Mustard
Flavored, plain or balsamic vinegar
Lemon/Lime juice
Cocktail sauce
Well, this is part of my list that I have used in the past, what is yours?? Leave me a comment and add on - I would love to get new ideas and ingredient options to cook with....

P.S. The answer to my poll will come next week with my next blog topic. Until then take the poll and then come back to see if you are right.

3 comments:

  1. In addition to what you listed I have used:
    soy sauce
    Worcestershire sauce
    BBQ sauce
    roasted vegetables and garlic
    fruit such as pineapple, oranges, strawberries

    Great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,
    Some ingredients that I like to add are garlic, cilantro, red pepper flakes, dried cranberries, and walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fresh herbs are the best... basil, rosemary, parsley, chives. My favorite spices are curry and thyme. I also like trying different oils like walnut, almond, truffle, etc. To sweeter dishes like oatmeal I like to use fresh berries, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, pumpkin, or dried fruit like cranberries, raisins, or figs... yum. I try to stay away from ketchup because of the high fructose corn syrup.

    ReplyDelete