Monday, April 5, 2010

Inside PA

Does anyone else notice how the weather in Spring can end up derailing your outdoor exercise routine?? For me, I try not to let the weather get the best of me. Although I enjoy working out outdoors, I know that sometimes I won't always get the chance to be outside. I also know that I still need to figure out some sort of physical activity plan when going outside is not an option. Exercise is really important, not just because of all the health benefits; but, because it can make you feel better when the weather may be getting you down. Today I am looking at going with plan B since the skies outside my balconey doors are showing overcast skies and dark rain clouds.
What is Plan B you may be wondering - well, for me this is a list of indoor activities that can get my heart rate up and give me at least 30 minutes of some form of exercise. For me, I have to do something that I consider is fun - one of the things I have on hand is a number of exercise DVD's. I have everything from walking exercises, BellyDance Routines, Pilates, and some Hip-Hop dance options. This type of exercise lets me move my furniture around and release a lot of pent of energy in a fun and energetic way. Another form of indoor PA I have is that I own a boxing bag, and when my frustration levels are high I slip on my gloves and pound away at the bag. It is amazing how much cardio you can get from DVD's or having a simple piece of exercise equipment.
But what do you do when you don't have money to buy DVD's or equipment? This is when you have to use your imagination. I have found that I do simple muscle movements when I am in the kitchen like standing on one leg (waiting on microwave dinner to get done), or calf raises while cleaning dishes at the sink. Another option would be use your chairs to do tricept dips and ab crunchs on the floor. Even though you are stuck inside with weather making it hard to get out, you can always find a way to get 30 minutes of some exercise in. What other suggestions do you have, ideas?? I would love to hear them all...

1 comment:

  1. I have used Fit TV on demand before. The kids love to get moving with me and it is a great way to add variety to your workout. Other idea is to check out the local library or do a swap with friends. I have also found a simple set of weights, balance ball, and resistance band are all you really need for strength training. When I am stuck I google exercises or turn to the latest Shape Magazine.
    I have to confess that I did buy an elliptical machine. I splurged and spent the money on a gym quality machine that will last for many years (I have had it for 3 and it still works like it did the day I bought it). When I weighed the cost of a gym membership, child care, and traveling to and from the gym for me it just seemed logical. I use it as my main form of indoor exercise at least 2-3 times a week.

    ReplyDelete